Syracuse University Libraries announces several promotions effective July 1, 2020:
- Brett Barrie, Assistant Catalog Librarian, Acquisitions and Cataloging, has been promoted from assistant librarian to senior assistant librarian.
- John Stawarz, Online Learning Librarian, Learning Commons, has been promoted from assistant librarian to senior assistant librarian.
- Nicole Westerdahl, Reference and Access Services Librarian, Special Collections Research Center, has been promoted from assistant librarian to senior assistant librarian.
- Rachel Fox Von Swearingen, Librarian for Music and Performing Arts, Research and Scholarship, has been promoted from associate librarian to librarian, the Libraries’ highest rank.
- Emily Hart, Science Librarian, Research and Scholarship, has been granted permanent status.
- Brenna Helmstutler, Librarian for the School of Information Studies, Research and Scholarship, has been granted permanent status.
- Deirdre Joyce, Head of the Digital Library Program, has been granted permanent status.
“The Libraries rigorous promotion process demonstrates our librarians’ commitment to ongoing professional education and scholarly research. A review of candidates by a group of librarian peers ensures fair and objective consideration. When the promotions are made, participants can be confident that not only does the University recognize the individual’s long-standing academic and research contributions, but their professional librarian colleagues do as well,” said David Seaman, Dean of Libraries and University Librarian. “My thanks to this year’s promotion committee for their engagement and many hours of work on this important activity: Courtney Asztalos, Plastics and Historical Artifacts Curator (chair); Robert Cleary, Department Head, Acquisitions and Cataloging; Natasha Cooper, Collection Development and Analysis Librarian; Natalie LoRusso, Reference and User Experience Librarian; and Patrick Williams, Humanities Librarian; Digital and Open Scholarship Lead.”